Charles W. Burton, 99, of Laurens, formerly of Humboldt, passed away April 27, 2016 at the Laurens Care Center. Funeral services are pending at the Mason-Lindhart Funeral Home in Humboldt.
Charles William Burton, the son of Francis Lynn and Pearl (Martin) Burton, was born April 12, 1917 at Spokane, Washington. He graduated from West Valley High School, and attended Whitworth College before moving to Chicago where he was employed as a printer. He was united in marriage to Marian Robinson on June 30, 1939 in Chicago. The couple made their home there until moving to Round Lake Park, Illinois in 1944. Charles worked in the printers trade and the couple established the Lake Region Bible Church in their home. In 1953, the couple moved to Pella, Iowa. Charles served as a missionary with the American Sunday School Union in various Southern Iowa Communities for 16 years. The family then moved to Albert City where Charles worked in the waste treatment plant. He received his Class 4 waste treatment license and served as superintendent of the Waverly waste treatment plant until his retirement in 1982. Charles continued his church work as a circuit-riding pastor and served in a fund raising capacity for missionaries.
In their retirement, the couple moved to Denver, Iowa where he and Marian helped to establish the Denver Baptist Church. They moved to Humboldt in 1989 where they were active in Oak Hill Baptist Church. Charles also lead devotions and music in Albert City, Sac City, and Newell nursing homes often leading services with his autoharp.
Following Mrs. Burton’s death in 1998, Charles moved to Rolfe, Laurens, and Early.
Charles is survived by his children, Mary Lou Sewell of Laurens, Martha Lynn Bigley of Midway, TX, and Timothy Charles Burton of Laurens; 8 grandchildren; and his great grandchildren and great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents; wife, Marian; infant son, in 1947; daughter, Charlotte Ruth Burton; sisters, Frances Burton Day and Betty Jo Dupin; and brother, Lester Martin Burton.